Baltimore Regional Project-Based Voucher Program
The Baltimore Regional Housing Partnership is participating in the Baltimore Regional Project-Based Voucher Program with five other public housing agencies, and the Baltimore Metropolitan Council (BMC). On behalf of the partners, BMC is seeking qualified and experienced developers to apply for affordable housing subsidies for new construction, substantial rehabilitation, or existing housing.
Proposals must be received by BMC no later than 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Successful applicants may be eligible for scoring incentives in the upcoming 2020 competitive round of Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) awards conducted by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD).
BMC will host a pre-proposal conference for interested developers on Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
Award of Vouchers – Public Notice
The Baltimore Regional Project-Based Voucher Program, which includes the Baltimore Regional Housing Partnership as a partner agency, has made the following awards of project-based vouchers:
- April 2019 Awards
- Twenty (20) to the Howard County Housing Commission for Artist Flats at New Cultural Center
- May 2018 Awards
- Five (5) to Homes for America for Homes for Fountain Green in Bel Air
- Two (2) to Homes for America for Red Maple Place in Towson
- Eight (8) to Woda Cooper Development, Inc. for Robinson Overlook in Columbia
- Eight (8) to Woda Cooper Development, Inc. for Brock Bridge Landing in Jessup
- November 2017 Awards
- Fifteen (15) to Volleyball House Apartments, LLLP for Riverwatch II in Elkridge
- Six (6) to Towne Courts LLC in Annapolis.
For additional information, contact Baltimore Metropolitan Council housing policy coordinator Dan Pontious at (410) 732-0500 x1055 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Affordable Housing Demonstration Program in the Baltimore Region
As a result of the final settlement of Thompson v. HUD, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has created a program to encourage the development of affordable units in Communties of Opportunity throughout the Baltimore Metropolitan Region. The demonstration program encourages investment in multifamily housing to promote the availability of affordable housing units in a manner that reduces racial segregation and increases geographic and economic mobility in the Baltimore region.
The demonstration is open to multifamily owners and developers pursuing FHA mortgage insurance under FHA’s section 221(d)(4) program, or other FHA multifamily finance programs, for properties to be developed in “eligible areas” in the Baltimore region. HUD is offering incentives for owners and developers who agree to set aside a percentage of newly constructed or rehabilitated two- or three-bedroom units in general occupancy properties for families holding Housing Choice Vouchers, either under a project-based voucher contract or offered at rents less than or equal to the Fair Market Rent (FMR) for the Baltimore SMSA.
Eligible incentives include, at a minimum, the following:
- Lowering the mortgage insurance premium;
- Adjusting the occupancy/vacancy rate lower when establishing the project’s anticipated budget;
- Establishing a procedure that results in greater and/or more frequent surplus cash distributions for projects containing a specified number of affordable units.
HUD may, but is not required to, offer the above incentives for creation of not more than 300-500 affordable units per year over a seven year period, not to exceed 2,100 over the seven years
Eligible entities interested in participating in the Demonstration should submit an expression of interest to AHDemonstration@hud.gov, and include a brief description of the proposal to create affordable units in a “community of opportunity” in the Baltimore Region. The description of the proposal must demonstrate that the requirements of the AH Demonstrations are met.
For more information on the Affordable Housing Demonstration Program, please see:
- HUD Notice Announcing the Affordable Housing Demonstration Program (PDF)